What you need to know about overtime work in the UAE
The industry experts have spoken: One of the reasons why Filipinos are some of the best, if not the best, employees they can hire is that we do not really mind working beyond working hours. Hard-working naman talaga tayo by nature.The industry experts have spoken: One of the reasons why Filipinos are some of the best, if not the best, employees they can hire is that we do not really mind working beyond working hours. Hard-working naman talaga tayo by nature.
Pero kabayan, keep in mind that maintaining a healthy work-life balance is also a must. Time management is key. I-schedule nang maayos ang mga kailangan gawin sa isang araw. Importante rin ito sa pag-manage ng daily stress levels mo.
Kung kailangan talaga mag-overtime, lalo na kung crucial sa operations, ’wag kalilimutan na merong rules and limits ang overtime work.
You have eight working hours—anything beyond that is considered overtime. If you work in commercial establishments such as hotels, your schedule may be extended up to nine hours.
Here are some facts that you need to know about working overtime in the UAE:
- Hanggang dalawang oras lang dapat ang overtime mo.
According to the UAE Labor Law, any employer cannot compel its employees to work overtime for more than two hours in a day.
- May bayad ang bawat oras ng OT.
Take your basic salary and calculate your pay per hour. When you work overtime, you should be paid the same hourly wage PLUS 25%. For example, kung AED 20 ang kinikita mo per hour, ang OT pay mo ay AED 25 per hour.
- If your overtime hours fall between 9pm and 4am, 50% ang additional sa hourly wage mo.
- The overtime pay does not apply to those in senior executive, managerial or supervisory positions, marine vessel crew and seafarers, except port laborers.
- Another working-hour rule you should know: By law, you should not be required to work for more than 5 hours straight, without a break.
Every day, you are entitled to a 60-minute break, which is not counted as a working hour.
Kung meron ka pang mga tanong tungkol sa overtime, feel free to get in touch with the SouqPinoy team!